Looking for a gift to give your child this holiday season? How about a book! Select a book instead of an e-book. Read the following to see why:
Select a book that you will enjoy reading aloud to your child. One of the benefits of reading aloud to children is that it helps build speech and language skills. According to the Family Literacy Foundation, the many benefits of reading aloud with children are:
- Children’s self esteem grows as they experience the security of having a parent or other caring person read aloud with them.
- Children experience increased communication with parents and other family members.
- Children are introduced to new concepts, such as colors, shapes, numbers and letters, in a fun, age appropriate way.
- Children build listening skills, vocabulary, memory and language skills.
- Children develop imagination and creativity.
- Children learn information about the world around them.
- Children develop individual interests in special subjects like dinosaurs, cats or cars.
- Children learn positive behavior patterns and social values.
- Children learn positive attitudes toward themselves and others.
- Children learn the joy of reading.
For read aloud tips go to:
For lists of great read aloud titles visit:
If your child has a speech or language delay, you can use books to help your child develop his/her speech and language skills. Read the following for some ideas:
Try to read to your child every day.